Applying for your Student Visa

If you plan to study full time for 12 or more weeks you must have a valid student visa provided by Immigration New Zealand. If you are studying for less than 12 weeks, you may need to apply for a Visitor Visa rather than a Student Visa.

How to apply for your student visa:

Step One: Once you obtain your letter of offer from Kalandra Education Group, you will need to apply to Immigration NZ for your visa. Visit for details and forms on how to apply. Once your visa application has been assessed and approved by Immigration NZ you will get an Approval in Principal Letter from Immigration NZ.

Step Two: Once you receive an Approval in Principal Letter you will need to pay your fees. You will have been provided with the invoice from Public Trust, upon full payment of your tuition fees, Kalandra Education Group will issue confirmation of receipt of payment.

Step Three: A receipt will be emailed to you or your agent if requested. If you are already residing in New Zealand, the Pastoral Care Officer is here to help with any enquiries.

Student Visa Application Information Sheet - first time international students (Immigration NZ)

Student Visa Application Information Sheet - continuing international students (Immigration NZ)

How to renew your Student Visa if you are residing in New Zealand:

Immigration NZ has developed Students Online, a system that processes student visa applications online. You are able to upload your relevant documents yourself and they will then either come back for further information or process your Visa and advise you accordingly. Please apply for your Visa at least 4 weeks prior to the expiry date.

Requirements of Student Visa Holders – Must comply with the following:

1.       To maintain your student visa status, you need to be a full-time student on campus.

2.       You must participate and meet your programme requirements; student performance will be monitored (100% attendance is required for international students)

3.       You must notify the office of any change of address

4.       You may not work unless specified on your student visa that you have a Variation of Condition to Work, allowing you to work up to 20 hours each week. It will state “Holder may work for up to 20 hours each week. Holder may work during summer   vacation and scheduled holidays.” And

5.       If you are in New Zealand on a Visitor Visa or Working Holiday Visa you can study for up to three months.

For full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements, visit: 

Immigration New Zealand

Last updated 25 February 2024

Latest news