Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016
All New Zealand education providers, including Kalandra Education Group, with students enrolled on international study programmes, are required to sign the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 ("The Code") which is monitored by NZQA. These providers have an important responsibility for international students’ welfare and must ensure those students are well informed, safe and properly cared for.
An International Student is a student who is studying in New Zealand on a student visa and does not hold permanent residency or citizenship of New Zealand.
NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) considers that students on a Work Visa who are also studying as part of their employment arrangement are considered international students and therefore have the same rights to support and protection as students in New Zealand on a Student Visa.
What is the Code?
The Code provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students, and set out the minimum standard of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students. The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, not to the academic standards.
The Code sets standards for educational providers to ensure that:
- High professional standards are maintained.
- The recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate and up to date.
- Students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments.
- Contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner.
- The particular needs of international students are recognised.
- All providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances.
View a copy of The Code and list of education providers who are signatories. You can also find a copy on our website or see the Office.
Last updated: 19th August 2020